Please note: This information is specific to the BYU CS department and is subject to change.

Application Process

Students interested in applying for part-time positions in the Computer Science Department need to:

  • Visit the BYU HR site to determine eligibility. Look at the requirements for working on campus and who can work on campus.
  • International students need to visit the following two sites to determine eligibility: BYU Employment Policies and BYU International Services.
  • Students who are interested in being a Teaching Assistant may talk directly to a professor or apply on our department job listings. Please be aware that not all of our professors use this site to find student employees.
  • Students who are interested in Research Assistant positions should contact faculty directly, whether face to face or through email. Our professors each research different branches of computer science, so it is recommended for students to look at the professors' profiles to see if they are interested in that line of research. These profiles can be found on our Faculty Directory.

Hiring Process

Students must not begin working until the entire hiring process is complete!

As part of the hiring process, a CS profile is required. This profile can be created by going to the CS Website, clicking on the My Dashboard button, and logging in with one's BYU NetID and password. The professor can then find the student in our database and submit a hire request.

There should be dialogue between the faculty member and the student about the student working for the faculty member. Upon selection of an applicant, a faculty member will submit a hire request. The CS Employment Secretary will process the request and the student will receive emails as the hire proceeds to the point of the student being authorized to work.

Students who have not previously worked on campus will receive an email explaining the process to complete an I-9 at the Student Employment Office located in 2024 WSC. Federal immigration regulations require each employee hired in the United States to prove their identity and eligibility to work by completing a Form I-9 at the time of hire. The Form I-9 must be completed before an employee is authorized to work. If the form is filled out late, your hire will be reported on the University’s monthly non-compliance report. BYU can be fined by the Department of Justice up to $1,100 for each "late hire" in the event of an audit. You should not begin working and cannot be paid until this form has been filled out. A list of acceptable documents for the I-9 can be found here.

Graduate students may be hired on contract. If the student will be working on contract, the contract will be sent to the student's myBYU email address and signed electronically by the student. Contact the CS Office, 3361 TMCB, or call 801-422-3027 with any questions.

Once BYU Student Employment has authorized the student to work, the student will receive an email from the CS Employment Secretary notifying that employment has been authorized. NOTE: Student is not to begin working before receiving this confirmation.

Students employed during their last semester of school who wish to enroll in less than the required credits may invoke their Last Semester Option. This option may only be used once. If the student does not graduate at the end of their option, they must be enrolled for the full required credits in any subsequent semesters/terms in order to continue employment.

Pay & Compensation

TA compensation is based upon the student's Computer Science class standing (as recorded in the profile information stored on the CS website) and the level of the course. An additional $0.50 per hour is added for each semester that the student returns to work as a TA, up to a maximum cumulative total per the chart below.


The CS Department will update your rate according to the change and may retroactively update a student’s pay rate for a maximum of one previous pay period at our discretion. All RA compensation is independently arranged with the individual professor with whom the RA will work.


The BYU Pay Schedule can be found here.

  • HOURLY: all hourly student employees must clock in through BYU's Y-time system. It can be accessed online, through a Y-time machine, or through campus phones. Employees must make a timestamp at the beginning and end of each shift. Each time you clock in or out, the clock should tell you your total hours for the pay period. If this total does not appear, then you have an Exception that needs to be resolved*.
    • Online: You can add Y-time to your My BYU homepage by clicking on "Customize" (located in the top left-hand corner). Search "Y Time". Click Add. The new section will let you clock in/out as well as view your timesheet.
    • Y-Time Clock: The Y-time clock is located in the northwest corner of the Talmage building (TMCB) on the first floor (across the hall from 1112). Enter your BYU ID number, and click “Next.” The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours for the week.
    • Y-Time in the Mobile BYU App
    • Campus IP Phones: If your lab or office has a campus phone, you can use it to log in/out. Press the “Services” button. Use the arrow buttons to scroll down to “Y-time” and push the select button (under the screen). It will ask for your BYU ID. Enter your ID number using the phone numbers, and click “Next.” The screen will now show your name, your job, and a menu to clock in, clock out, and view your total hours.
  • CONTRACTED students will receive a stipend amount per paycheck until the effective termination date of the contract. Contracted students are not required to clock hours worked, though they should keep a log of the hours they work as per the instructions on the contract.


  • Note that some errors can be corrected by the employee if it is still the same pay period in which the exception exists. We will not correct errors that an employee can correct on their own.
  • If you cannot self-correct the error, you must email and include the following:​
    • Your Name
    • Your 9 digit BYUID
    • The date and time (including am or pm) of the exception
    • The reason there is a Y-Time exception
    • If you are an international student please indicate this in the subject line (i.e., "FOREIGN STUDENT: Time Exception")
  • The BYU Office of Information Technology Y-Time site is found here.
  • As always, you are more than welcome to email with any questions and we are happy to help.

International Students

Please utilize the following two websites to determine employment eligibility:

International students (both undergraduate and graduate students) are not allowed to work over 20 hours a week unless they are on their "approved break." Please contact International services to determine if you are on your approved break.